Roads. (From: 'Geographical and geological description', section of Lysons, Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814)

The great mail-coach road from London to Falmouth, Penzance, &c. enters Cornwall at Poulston-bridge, a mile and three quarters from Launceston; after quitting that town, it passes through the villages of Hicks-mill, Five-lanes, and Trewint, over the moors of Alternon and Temple (eight miles and a half) ; through the depopulated village of Temple, by the race-ground, to Bodmin ** , which is twenty-one miles from Launceston. The church-towns of Alternon and Blisland, and the high hills of Roughtor and Brownwilly, are on the right; the church-towns of South-Petherwin, Lewannick and Cardinham, and Dosmery-pool, on the left of this road.

**This road, from three miles south of Launceston to the Indian Queen (ten miles south of Bodmin), was made under an act of Parliament passed in 1769. The great western road, before the passing of this act, was through Camelford; the act for making the road by way of Camelford passed in 1759.

 

Quitting Bodmin, the road proceeds to Truro, twenty-two miles and a half; passing over the gorse-moors (eight miles in length), through the villages of Higher Fraddon, Lower-Fraddon; Penhale and Summercourt; the small borough-town of Michell, and the village of St. Erme highway. At the two first-mentioned villages are the posting-houses of the Indian Queen and the Blue Anchor. Between Bodmin and Truro, the church-towns of St. Wenn, St. Enoder, and Newlyn lie on the right-hand; Lanivet, Roche, St. Dennis and St. Erme, on the left. The road then passes to Penryn, through the villages of Calenick, Carnon, Perran-well and Perran-wharf, leaving the church of Kea on the right, and Perran-Arwothall on the left: from Penryn along the cliff to Falmouth is two miles. The road to Penzance branches off between Truro and Penryn at the village of Perranwell, and passing near the church of Stithians, joins the turnpike-road from Penryn to Helston, six miles from the latter town.

 

The Penryn and Helston road passes through the small villages of Polgrene, Menely, and Trelills, being a distance of ten miles: the direct road from Truro to Helston is eighteen. From Helston, the great road to the Land's-end proceeds to Marazion, ten miles, through the church-town of Breage, leaving the church-towns of Sithney and Germoe, the large village of Gold-Sithney and the church of St. Hilary, to the right; and Perran-Uthnoe to the left: it then passes along the shore to Penzance about three miles and a half, by the village of Chyandower, leaving Ludgvan and Gulval to the right, and St. Michael's-Mount, to the left.

Launceston, Bodmin, Truro and Helston Trusts

 

From Penzance, a carriage-road (not turnpike) proceeds to the Land's-end (eleven miles); leaving the church-towns of Maddern and Sancreet, with the populous village and church of St. Just, to the right; the great fishing-coves of Newlyn and Mousehole, the church of St. Paul, and the church-town of Burian, to the left.

Non_turnpike to Lands End

 

The old road from the north of Cornwall to the Land's-end branched off at Michell: this road, which has been long disused for carriages, though its milestones remain, and it still keeps its place in the road-books, passed through Zealla, Redruth, and Crowless to Penzance.

Truro Trust for sections, but can find no evidence for turnpiking the whole route of A30 from Mitchell to Redruth

 

The great road from London to the Land's-end, by way of Plymouth dock, enters Cornwall at Torpoint (The ferry at this place is impassable in bad weather) ; three miles and a quarter beyond which it passes through Anthony church-town; two miles and a half further through Crosthole; about ten miles beyond which, having left the town of St. Germans and the village of Menheniot a small distance on the right, it reaches Liskeard: nearly twelve miles further it reaches Lostwithiel, having passed through the village of Dobwalls, over Broadoak-downs, and at no great distance from St. Pinnock, Broadoak and Boconnoc, all of which lie on the left hand: beyond Lostwithiel it leaves Lanlivery church-town a little way on the right-hand; in four miles reaches the churchtown of St. Blazey; and about four miles further the town of St. Austell: passing a little way from the church-town of St. Mewan (which lies on the right), and through the little village of Sticker, in six miles it reaches the borough-town of Grampound; and two miles and a half further passes through the church-town of Probus: two miles and a quarter beyond Probus, it passes through the little village of Tresilian; and in two miles and three-quarters from thence, leaving St. Clement's church on the left, it reaches Truro, where it joins the other great road.

Liskeard, St Austell & Lostwithiel and Truro Trusts

.

The turnpike-road from Launceston to Camelford and St. Columb branches off from the Bodmin road three miles out of Launceston, and leaving the churchtowns of Trewen, Laneast and St. Cleather to the left, passes through Haleworthy and Davidstow: beyond Camelford, leaving Lantegloss to the right, it passes to St. Teath (four miles), with St. Tudy and St. Mabyn on the right, and St. Kew on the left; it passes thence to Wadebridge (seven miles), in the parishes of Egloshayle and St. Breock. From Wadebridge to St. Columb, (the road not passing very near any church-town except St. Breock,) is twelve miles. From St. Columb a turnpike-road continues, about three miles, to join the great road to Truro, &c. between the Indian Queen and the Blue Anchor.

Haleworthy Trust

 

From Wadebridge there is a carriage-road, partly turnpike, through St. Issey and Little-Petherick to Padstow, fourteen miles.

The section west of Wadebidge would be the Haleworthy Trust rest to Padstow not turnpiked

 

There is a turnpike-road also from Bodmin to Wadebridge, over Dunmeer-bridge, through the village of Slades and Egloshayle church-town, about seven miles;

Bodmin Trust

 

from Truro to Redruth, through Chasewater, leaving St. Dye a little to the left; from Redruth, between Gwennap and Stithians, to Penryn and Falmouth; from Redruth, through Camborne, and near Crowan and Sithney, to Helston,

Truro Trust

 

a turnpike-road branching off (from the great road from Truro to Plymouth, near Probus) to Tregony, and from thence near Veryan to St. Mawes; and from Tregony to join the Plymouth road between Grampound and St. Austell. There is a turnpike-road also from Truro to St. Agnes.

Creed & St Just Trust (only recorded to St Just, not St Mawes)

 

It is in contemplation to make a turnpike-road from Redruth over the head of the river Heyle to Penzance, to make a nearer road from Truro to Falmouth by way of Flushing; (Hayle Bridge & Causeway on 1825)

and also to shorten and improve the road from Catchfrench to Torpoint. (Liskeard Trust improvements in 1826)

 

From Saltash (The ferry at this place is seldom used for carriages.), one of the entrances into Cornwall, a turnpike-road passes through St. Mellion to Callington. Another road, branching off, a part of which is not turnpike, passes through Landrake and Tidiford, and joins the great road from Plymouth to Liskeard near Catchfrench.

Saltash Trust

 

A turnpike-road from Tavistock enters Cornwall at Newbridge (A very picturesque spot, with a great number of cottages on the Cornish side.) , on the Tamar; four miles from that town, passes to Callington, leaving Calstock on the left; and thence, through St. Ive, to Liskeard (nine miles). From Callington a turnpikeroad passes to Stoke-Climsland, leaving Lezant to the left and Lawhitton to the right, to Launceston (twelve miles).

Callington Trust

 

Between Liskeard and Lostwithiel, on the great Plymouth road, a turnpike-road branches off, which goes by Resprin-bridge and Lanhidrock to Bodmin.

Bodmin Trust

 

There is also a carriage-road, partly turnpike, immediately from Bodmin to Lostwithiel, through the village of Maudlin, (six miles.)

Bodmin Trust (branch to Lostwithiel direct not turnpiked)

 

There is a carriage-road, but not turnpike, from Launceston to Stratton: this road, being a distance of eighteen miles, passes through Newport and St. Stephens, leaving Werrington in Devonshire a short distance on the right, and Whitstone on the left.

Stratton Road; Section north of old county border not turnpiked

 

The road from Stratton to Camelford passes near Davidstow, where it joins the turnpike-road from Launceston to Camelford, about three miles from the latter town. This road passes through the villages of Treskinnick-cross (vulgo Skinney-cross) and Wainhouse-corner, over the high ground called Touchbarrows, leaving the village of Bude and the church-town of Poundstock to the right, and the church-towns of Marhamchurch, Otterham, and Davidstow to the left.

Stratton Road; Section to Davidstow not turnpiked

 

From Camelford, a carriage-road, not turnpike, passes to Bodmin, (twelve miles,) through the village of Penpont, and over the race-downs, leaving the church-towns of Advent, St. Breward, and Blisland on the right, and those of Michaelstow and St. Teath on the left.

Camelford Road; Section to Blisland not turnpiked

 

The mail-coach roads are very good. The cross-roads are not much travelled. There are no post-chaises kept at Stratton, Padstow, Camelford, St. Columb, St. Ives, Looe, Fowey, Tregony, Grampound, Saltash, nor even at Callington, although two or three roads meet at that town.

 

Return to Turnpikes in Cornwall